Accredited online ultrasound programs are available at select schools, and may offer you the opportunity to specialize in abdominal sonography, echocardiography, vascular sonography, or obstetric/gynecological sonography. Online sonography programs are not as common as other online offerings due to the need of hands-on training. Although you may complete a bulk of the coursework online, you will still be required to complete a clinical training program at a hospital or healthcare facility.
Online Ultrasound Courses
Coursework for online ultrasound programs may be dependent upon your chosen area of specialization which may include neurosonography, cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, and abdominal sonography. This online coursework will allow you to hone your skills into a particular area of concentration. Most online ultrasound programs include core coursework such as:
- Anatomy and Physiology: This course focuses on the structures found within the human body, including the appearance, functions, and placement of organs as well as circulatory, respiratory, and skeletal systems.
- Diagnostic Imaging: This class often covers the different types of ultrasounds and imaging technologies used in diagnostic medical sonography. You will learn how to examine images to determine diseases or irregularities.
- Introduction to Medical Sonography: This course may cover the history and theory behind sonography. You may also learn about basic medical terminology.
- Medical Law and Ethics: You may study the legal guidelines and ethical rules for providing patients with medical care. You may also investigate common interpretations of healthcare laws and regulations made within the healthcare industry.
- Sonographic Instrumentation: In this course you may study the sonography equipment and the physics behind it. Types of equipment you may analyze include the digital imaging station, ultrasound probe, and the EKG machine.
Popular Online Programs
Students interested in online ultrasound programs have several degree and certificate options. Accredited schools offer online certificate, associate, or bachelor’s degree programs in diagnostic medical sonogography. Certificate programs may only take 12 months to complete, associate degree programs may take 12 to 24 months, and a bachelor’s degree program may take up to 4 years. Most certificate and degree programs include lectures and clinical experience, where students gain hands-on experience.
- Online Diagnostic Medical Sonography Certificate
An online diagnostic medical sonography certificate program may prepare entry-level sonographers with the skills needed to perform diagnostic ultrasound examinations. You may learn how to use sonography equipment on the pelvis, abdomen, pregnant women, and other structures within the human body. Coursework may cover laboratory procedures, sonographic patterns in organs, and technical impressions.
- Online Vascular Sonography Certificate
An online vascular sonography certificate program may teach you how to use high-frequency sound waves to obtain measurements of the circulatory vessels found in the human body. You may gain a strong understanding of physiology, hemodynamics, and cardiovascular anatomy. Prior to enrollment, you may be required to hold certification from the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARMDS) or the Cardiovascular Credentialing Institute (CCI).
- Online Magnetic Resonance Imaging Certificate (Advanced)
The online magnetic resonance imaging certificate program is ideal for working imaging technologists who want further instruction to become more marketable for employment. Coursework within this program may include MRI safety and applications as well as MRI procedures. Requirements for enrollment include either an associate or bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution as well as certification from the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB), or ARDMS.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Online bachelor’s degree programs in diagnostic medical sonography may provide you with knowledge about healthcare administration as well as advanced sonography topics. Prior to enrollment, you may need to complete specific requirements, such as possess either an associate degree in sonography or an accredited diploma or certificate from the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). During the program you may complete sonography and imaging courses, such as computed tomography, diagnostic radiology, fluoroscopy, and magnetic resonance imaging.